Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago

Discussion for Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago

Archive.org
Listen here for free. It is long and digestible but might just change your life. Your worst nightmare is nothing like this reality. Helps you enjoy civilization and systems that are good enough.

1 Like

I doubted that there was any value in this book. I already know people can do bad things. However about half way through volume one, the understanding came that, not only can people do bad things, but entire nations can decimate themselves from the inside out, without anyone caring or doing anything, all from cultural ideas. It just goes on and on and on. Crazy.

1 Like

Crazy, overwhelming, depressing, hard to put words to how bad it can get. I can see why JP wants civilization to avoid such calamities in the future. They’re still going on every day on a lesser scale. The book is humbling.

1 Like

Seems all versions of this book, except for the JBP “approved” abridged/trimmed version have been stripped from the internet.

“THE OFFICIALLY APPROVED ABRIDGEMENT OF THE GULAG ARCHIPELAGO VOLUMES I, II & III”

Previously, I had found the audiobook solely on Downpour, and even then I noticed that it only accepted purchasing from certain geolocations.

I also added the other volumes to my wishlist. How an audiobook can be “Out of stock” I have no idea.

Going to the URLs for the pages directly results in this “the plot thickens” 404 missing page:

However, the Wayback Machine has evidence that they did exist besides my screenshots:

It has been stripped from audible too, the link shows up in search engines, but clicking it takes you to the audible homepage. Wayback Machine doesn’t have a copy.

It’s also been stripped from Amazon

Why have all unabridged versions of this book been stripped from the internet?

My thoughts is that JBP would earn royalties from his edition of it. His publisher and agency is very powerful, and represents nearly everyone else. They have probably stripped all traces of it except for the JBP “approved” edition, as they can earn more royalties from it. And I wonder how much of it is modified, if any, if some. JBP may also have a contract to redo the audio version, in the same fashion as what has happened to the ebook version.

Anyone else have any details on this? Any screenshots? Any previous copies? As one must run a comparison on the different forms, if anything has changed.

I’ve sent the following message to Downpour. Let’s see what I get back. Perhaps Americans can call them and upload the conversations.

Here is the result of my contact with Downpour:

Me:

Hi there,

A year or two ago I purchased Volume 1 of The Gulag Archipelago, 1918–1956 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn on your website. I am wanting now to listen to Volume 2 and Volume 3, but it seems all the volumes have been removed. How come? And how do I get access to them?

Sincerely,
Benjamin Lupton

Downpour:

Good morning,

The two titles that your inquiring about have gone out of print. However, please check back periodically as titles may be re-released.

Best regards,

Robbin

Customer Care Representative

Blackstone Audio, Inc. | Downpour.com

Me:

The audiobook downloads are digital, so why would the paperbacks going out of print affect the digital editions?

Downpour:

​Good morning,

Has something to do with the way the contracts are written, royalties that kind of stuff.

Thank you,

Robbin

Me:

Who do I contact to get a new contract/print sorted? As this book is gaining in popularity, but its difficulty to access would be affecting sales, like in my instance.

Downpour:

Hello,

I will ask my supervisor to inquire about the titles for you with our contracts department. I will email you just as soon as I hear something.

Best regards,

Robbin

Downpour:

Hello,

Your request has been passed to our Acquisitions Department. There are no guarantees. We suggest that you check back periodically as our web site is updated daily.

Best regards,

Robbin

Downpour:

Hello Mr. Lupton,

I just got a message for our Acquisitions Department and “Our licensing term ran out on volumes 2 & 3, and we were unable to renew them”.

We know your time is valuable and appreciate the opportunity to assist you in any way possible. If you have further questions, please reply to this email or contact us directly via our toll-free number at 1-855-DOWNPOUR (1-855-369-6768). You can reach the Customer Care Center on weekdays, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM (PST) to 5:00 PM (PST). The Customer Care Center is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and most major Holidays. Thank you again for contacting Downpour.com.

Best regards,

Robbin

I’m getting good at this conspiracy theory game. You can now pre-order the JBP approved version of it.

https://www.audible.com.au/pd/The-Gulag-Archipelago-Audiobook/1473570344

1 Like