Nothing beats this

The smell of a fresh new book. :sunglasses: Time for some reading!

1 Like

We should do motorcycle maintenance for a study group sometime. It’s on my to read list. Perhaps in 2019. Enjoy!

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard good things about it, and am lacking in my understanding of Eastern thinking.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, might I suggest also this one. A great book.

Turns out Origins and History of Consciousness is a JBP recommended text:

However, as we have all these other books already lined up (JBP’s recommended reading order) it’ll get plugged on say March 2020.

We can do motorcycle maintenance sooner, as it won’t follow the usual two month cycle. Currently, we are doing it like so: every 2 months a jbp recommended book, and the month inbetween will be a community recommended book - for instance, end of this month will be Taoism (JBP Community recommended), end of next month will be Ordinary Men (JBP recommended)

1 Like

Unfortunately, @JohnBuck, there isn’t too much Eastern insight within ZATAOMM, and such as there is it is filtered through Pirsig’s analytical bedrock, but the gist of the theme is perfectly aligned with McGilchrist’s analysis of hemispherical lateralization. Pirsig’s “Romantic” vs “Classical” distinction is essentially his left hemispherical acknowledgement of the left’s inability to create quality (value). It’s the Hume/Harris bootstrapping problem of value from facts. And in this sense, it approaches the equally dichotomous division between East and West perspectives. But above all, it is beautifully written, by a genius suffering from schizophrenia. I place it among the highest of my pleasurable reads in philosophical texts.

Neumann is Jung’s torch-bearing student, and is equally as dense. But the profundity is obvious. You don’t need a book club to discuss Neumann or Jung, you need a book decadal-chunk-of-your-life-club.

1 Like

Having read both, I’d say ZATOOMM is a better book. It’s accessible, it’s interesting, and it gets to the point. They’re a bit different, one being philosophy and the other claiming to be science, but I think the philosophy one wins here. TOAHOC wasn’t substantial enough, I didn’t think. The ideas were big, but the support didn’t seem to be there.