Maps of Meaning #2

Discussion thread for 2017 Maps of Meaning - Lecture #2

study group discussions

Discussion as part of our Study Group.

https://discuss.bevry.me/t/2017-02-03-maps-of-meaning-2/275

https://discuss.bevry.me/t/2017-12-09-bible-2-meaning-2/232

podcasts

my notes

• 8:00 - interaction operates within the constraints of social expectation, which is based on a cultural map of expectations built into our perceptions, that dictates how we operate - if that mapping, if that social expectation does not coincide, then conflict ensues

• 11:00 - cultural social expectations are really desires of how people should act - a culture is often willing to fight to the death to preserve their culture because it is the foundations of how people should act to be prosperous

• << ties into Defoe’s Treatise of Marriage book >>

• cultural conflicts actually does destabilise people

• 12:00 - interesting, that political factions will cause more than just resource conflicts, but conflicts of existential crises due to the conflicts of how people should act

• 19:00 - it’s a happy day when the hypothalamus is not telling you what to do - you live in a tranquil state

• 20:00 - low IQ is one of the things that predisposes you to PTSD

• 21:00 - there is nothing more important to our sanity that having our expectations/desires of society match the actions of society (as such one must change their expectations/desires, or change society) otherwise emotions get dysregulated into combat mode

• 26:00 - happiness makes you impulsive, and that is not a good state to be in

• 33:00 - as soon as you get compliance you want to reward that instantly - as it promotes more compliance

• 35:00 - it’s very hard to realise when things are going right to reward them, as our survival mechanisms are optimised for detecting threats and eliminating threats

• 37:00 - you must keep your relationship with children pristine, that is to say no grudges, as they do not understand grudges and they change constantly, so a pristine relationship is much better for teaching them through interactions of better ways to be

• 38:00 -

• << as someone who was a stepdad, with all those who saw and knew my interactions saying I was a great stepdad, but with myself just feeling I was terrible because I saw all my failings - how does one reconcile that pain? - sure perhaps it is essential that one is aware of their failing to be a better parent than those who are not aware of their failings - however, being aware of your failings produces a cognitive load and emotional burden, and that is not nice to live with, remember, or endure >>
  • 39:00 - after 4, it is virtually impossible to rectify anti-social behaviours in children - between 2 and 4 your goal should be to raise your child to be a functional piece of unity, such that they can devote themselves to an altruistic goal for a reasonable length of time - integrating their emotions and motivations together under social influence

• 41:00 - the point of tea parties, playing, games, and nursing

• 46:00 - competition requires cooperation, as one competes with the social constraints of rules, which is society - a hockey game is a competition of two teams which cooperate together to follow the rules of the game

• 49:00 - winning is being invited to play all the games, because you are a good player - who excels at competition to accomplish/envy and cooperation to assist/idol

• 55:00 - no goal, no positive emotion, because positive emotion is the movement towards a goal, and if there is no goal, there is there is no movement towards a goal, so there is no positive emotion

• 55:30 - a goal should ideally be a goal that others wish to help you on, and which helps you accomplish other goals, and which help teaches you how to accomplish other goals - you may be able to find through evaluation these factors within any goal

• 58:00 - you set a goal to accomplish the goal to be able to get a better goal - this process provides your life with meaning, it is the only process that does - other things that provide meaning are forms of this process - the trick is to figure out what is a really good goal

• 1:04:00 - that’s life - life is a hydra, snakes everywhere, you cut one off, seven more grow <- solution, well what could you do about that? loaded question, as it provides the presupposition you can do something about that, returning control - by confronting the chaos, you get stronger, and you grow your shield - if you run from the snakes, the snakes grow and get bigger, and that is not a solution to life as there reaches a point where there is no recovery

• 1:11:00 - to conquer the dragon you must acknowledge, identify, understand, and hone the part of you that is monstrous, so you can use it conquer demons

• << this seems dangerous, as it could lead to monstrous actions with any self-justified delusion >>
  • 1:11:30 - if you are a monster but you chose not to be a monster or use your monstrosity for good - you become virtuous (more or less the notion of the movie Suicide Squad) - the harmless are not virtuous, they are just harmless (what about Ghandi… he had plenty of courage, and is considered quite virtuous)

• 1:38:00 - there are always opportunities for elevating your sights within your capabilities for wherever you happen to be

• 1:40:00 - if you are honest then reality is on your side - if you are deceitful then you are fighting reality and it will smash you back to the extent of your lies

• 1:45:00 - what the hell is the conscience (sometimes it is a voice, sometimes it is a feeling, sometimes it is neither!) - a Freudian perspective is it is an instantiation of society within your mind

• 1:49:00 - you can at least know what you shouldn’t be doing, and if you stop doing those things, things will get better - what things should I stop doing, which I could stop, and would stop, that will make my life better

• 1:56:00 - your conscious is not omnipresent, if it was, you could just do everything it said and be sorted - however your conscious like yourself is something you grow with and converse with over your life to develop into a more developed person

• 1:58:00 - you are a marionette/puppet of your culture - but hopefully you can become more than that, in a wise way, and not a puppet of another system but a strong independent person with good roots in reality who cooperates with others and competes within systems of reality

• 1:59:00 - you are a product of culture and nature, however you are also a product of YOU - the hero determines their own character, they become who they want to be, not forced to be it or resign to it, someone else does not determine it for them

• 2:19:00 - values and conscious rules often have conflicts - this is very difficult to navigate

my notes

• 9:00 - In order to actually see the dominance hierarchy at play, look at the structure of the environment for clues

• This is how Scientists ‘prove’ that Dark Matter exists. By showing the contextual matter affected by the Dark Matter. It’s a similarly applicable method of trying to prove God exists.
  • 15:00 - Hobbes Philosophy and Russo’s philosophy need to be used together.

• (Nature’s evil, society keeps us structured. V Men are good, society is evil (I think it’s swapped around, 1st is Russo, I think. Not sure))
  • 34:00 - Notice and appreciate anytime someone does something good. Reward is incredibly useful.

• 1:01:00 -

• The movie he was thinking of is maybe ‘Boda Secreta’
  • 1:05:00 -

• How incredible is it that the dreams of a child so closely resemble the art from ancients.
  • 1:10:00 - The world (and stories) exist inside of logical fallacies.

• How far does it go? Light is one of them, existing as both a particle and a wave.
  • 1:17:00 - The image of the father virgin mother and son has been around for thousands of years prior to Christianity.

• So where does it start? Does it just begin as an idea that makes itself come true via it’s spreading out into the world and then bouncing back into manifestation. Do we really have that power within us to make archetypes real? Or is it an absolute truth that we happened to recognize in a very low resolution form millions ago and we have just been refining our understanding of it as time goes on? Is there a third option?
  • 1:18:00 - The Origin and History of Consciousness

• The writing is very obscure, hard to manage because it’s like reading a detailed info dump without any actual specific details. Just gigantic abstracts to deal with. Hard to get through very much at a time.
  • 1:30:00 - People might be using the excuse of nihilism/postmodernism as justification for them to never do anything meaningful with their lives.

• 1:30:00 - To have ultimately meaningful life means to adopt ultimate responsibility.

• Jesus did just that, taking all sins committed not by himself in as his own burden to cleanse us of guilt, so that we can move forward. Without the innocent/virgin sacrifice humanity would be cursed to destruction for our mistakes. Story of David’s son dying because of lusting after Bathsheba. Gen. 50:20. What was done out of evil was turned to good (khan, Hitler, Stalin) That’s what evolution is, humans standing on top of the bodies of trillions of beings that came before us. We have a responsibility to their sacrifice to take humanity to a point where infinite amounts of sacrifice can be “justefied”: infinite capability. God.
  • 1:40:00 Faith and wisdom are feminine

• Because women make man self conscious
  • 1:42:00 Belief is acting out your ideas.

• Book of James
  • 2:01:00

• This touches on a point I had considered previously. In a deterministic world with our ability to be conscious, you can see your past and follow it’s thread into the future, deterministically, and decide, based off that self recognition, to REdetermine your new outcome. It seems to not quite be free will and not quite determinism.
  • 2:19:00 The world’s too complicated to just live life by 5 rules.

• But 12 is just enough, lol.